Military Records - B Cards, VRMs etc

Series III specific forum

Military Records - B Cards, VRMs etc

Postby poseidon » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:01 pm

I hesitate to re-visit this topic having abandoned my earlier attempts to track down the military history of my LWT which became stalled in restoration, but now in line for a re-start. But it did look as if things may have changed in terms of getting this info and unless I am mistaken, it may be possible to get details of service history without having to scratch around in obscure databases and pay lots of money for a simple record of where my old truck earned its daily bread whilst in military service. Can anyone give me a simple link to move forward on this please? I did manage to download a spreadsheet showing almost every vehicle ever held in service, but all it tells me is that my truck is what it looks like - an FFR, painted NATO green and overpainted in IRR paint. I had hope that I may have been able to get the B card info through the same process which should show where the truck was based etc. Has that info not also been made openly available like the VRM database? Any help or links would be appreciated (sorry if I appear lazy, but I've run myself ragged in the past trying to nail this convoluted process down and spent hours/months getting nowhere and I/m an old guy and probably not long to live haha!).
Truck is army reg 20HF28 and pic of ident bulkhead plate attached....[/img][/img]
Attachments
SAM_3123.JPG
poseidon
Petrol Head

Re: Military Records - B Cards, VRMs etc

Postby fv1620 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:43 am

Clive Elliott

FV1609, FV18061, FV2401E, FV2381, FV2505G, TUM (HS)
fv1620
Anorak

Postby Stanfonj » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:46 am

Stanfonj
Petrol Head

Postby poseidon » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:15 am

Thanks for the links guys - these get me the VRM data (that I already managed to download by another more convoluted route), but it's not clear how I can access the elusive 'B Card' info, if it even exists. It would just be interesting to know where my truck worked during its MoD times. But It's not really worth shelling out a heap of money to find it sat around at Catterick for 15 years before being sold on... Am I correct in thinking I have to contact MoD in writing and find out if there is a B Card on my truck, but that I have to pay them a fair sum to get a copy of it?
poseidon
Petrol Head

Postby Stanfonj » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:46 am

You can get a copy of the B card from the RLC Museum for £35.
http://www.rlcarchive.org/VehicleSrch
It won't show much more data than the Merlin archive though. The only differences may be the names of the units (Merlin uses the latest unit names which may have changed). It still won't show physical locations. Your truck spent its time with several units so I doubt it was sat around in one place for all that time, but the B-card won't help with that.
Stanfonj
Petrol Head

Postby poseidon » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:01 pm

I've managed eventually to get the Service Record of my truck through the FOI and Merlin Routes as suggested above. I think I initially downloaded an incomplete part of the database which had no service details. It didn't cost anything (which surprised me), apart from having to wait a couple of weeks. However, having got the (unremarkable) 12 years deployment of the trucks service history, I'm struggling a bit to 'decode' the military abbreviations on the Merlin B Card record. Can anyone help on these unit abbreviations please?

57 LOG SP SQN RLC VEH TP
5 REG AAC WKSP REME
254 PRO COY RMP (V)
MVSL (DISPOSALS)
Only RAF Aldergrove Supply Squadron is in the clear.
Any clues to the gobbledegook greatly appreciated please
poseidon
Petrol Head

Postby poseidon » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:34 pm

With the help of Mr Google I've managed to work out all the abbreviated codes for the trucks military locations (Logistics, Northern Ireland Air base, Army Air Corp then Military Police). Thanks particularly to Stanfonj for getting the info I needed in a nice compact form. Unfortunately before I opened his post I had frittered away too much time trying to extract raw details from the massive Merlin database and ended up with a badly formatted mess on a local spreadsheet. All done now, although I'm not really sure why I wanted the info in the first place as there are many more higher priority issues with the truck to address... like no lights and no brakes and no clutch...
poseidon
Petrol Head

Postby AR4412 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:36 pm

57 LOG SP SQN RLC VEH TP. 57 Logistic Support Squadron, Royal Logistic Corps, Vehicle Troop.
5 REG AAC WKSP REME. 5 Regiment Army Air Corps, Workshop, Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers.
254 PRO COY RMP (V). 254 Provost Company, Royal Military Police. (Volunteers) A Territorial Army unit.
MVSL (DISPOSALS). Military Vehicle Spares Limited.

Regards,
To Those That Have Had To Fight For It, Life Has Truly A Flavour The Protected Will Never Know.

Neil.

09FM98. SIII Ex FFR now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. SIII FFR. PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 & 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.
AR4412
Site Admin

Postby AR4412 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:38 pm

Ah, I see you had it sorted, and were letting us know as I was typing out a reply.

Regards,
To Those That Have Had To Fight For It, Life Has Truly A Flavour The Protected Will Never Know.

Neil.

09FM98. SIII Ex FFR now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. SIII FFR. PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 & 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.
AR4412
Site Admin

Return to Series III Lightweights