Fuel Lifter (

Series III specific forum

Fuel Lifter (

Postby Andrew » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:14 pm

My S3 is sulking- having neglected it for 5 weeks to overseas commitments , IT WONT START! Battery OK, electrics OK, it appears to be no fuel is getting through. I have disconnected the fuel line to the carb and nothing comes through when cranking. I tried the primer lever under the pump and fuel squirted out, reconnected and cranked it- no joy. Disconnected the fuel line again and tried the primer lever- no fuel coming through. Now, the lifter is only 6 months old. I am going to have to take it off to inspect it- what should i be looking for?

Cheers,

Andrew.
Andrew
Apprentice

Re: Fuel Lifter (

Postby fv1620 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:41 pm

Andrew maybe the flat end of central spindle no longer engages the rectangular slot in the lifting arm. I had an intermittent fuel problem like that & it had been assembled incorrectly at manufacture. Surprising as this was a NOS military part that was fully packaged when I had it.
Clive Elliott

FV1609, FV18061, FV2401E, FV2381, FV2505G, TUM (HS)
fv1620
Anorak

Postby Andrew » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:50 pm

Thanks Clive- I will have a squint .

Andrew.
Andrew
Apprentice

Postby FrogPart » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:49 pm

The original genuine pump - will have the makers name AC & other script - on the pump top flange. There has / are several copies on the market - all at a price not worth going to the trouble of a recondition kit - where you stake in new "plate-valves" , these have light springs. The pump you describe was new & working - I would suggest split the casing by removal of the 6 qty. cheese head screws. You will probably find the plate(s) sticking due to fuel gum. Clean with copious fresh petrol and a small squirrel hair artists :) brush. Better still spray them well with a straw :lol: & check they actually move with a cocktail stick :)

Splitting - then you will auto. view the diaphragm that could be split or even destroyed by E5 :shock:

btw. a quality diaphragm - I suppose generally is identified as coloured red with a external tab that for some unknown reason has a stationery staple through it.

There are good and accurate near copies and rubbish ones. Probably best if you could show a couple of photographs.

A good copy could have smooth die-castings , a die-cast thumbscrew for the sedimenter bowl (as original piecrust type) , a glass bowl (as original) priming lever as original pressing shape for return spring & staked to fulcrum spindle (as original) , the operating lever from camshaft could be 3 qty. riveted plates (as original) - BUT still useless as a lift pump.

The later genuine boxed LR franchise supply that I purchased had deviations and the die-cast body had a very rough shot blast finish - but obviously it worked / still works as it should.

Good & bad pump copies can have the bowl secured by a good metal knurled circular one or even a plastic one. Likewise good/bad copies could have a real glass or polycarbonate bowl.

------------

If you come across a generic universal pump without sedimenter bowl but assorted packers- sold in a blue box with a petrol part number, identified where the cam operating rod is a bit of suare steel 4mm x 4mm - it is a poor copy of a 200tdi pump - throw the thing as far as you can :lol:

btw. always worth checking the fuel tap is not sucking air at cork gasket and the fine mesh filter(s) at base of tank suction tubes are not crudded up. If something is not working - from a tank NPSH (net positive suction head) at times you could get a flow to carb. end with the priming lever , but not when churning the engine , also beware - don't get the pump 'off-cam' when fiddling with a uncleared problem - otherwise you have created a second problem.
And I thought it was a thermostat !
FrogPart
Anorak

Postby Andrew » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:27 pm

Thanks Frogpart,

As suggested I took it off and inspected inside. I couldn't see any issues so rinsed everything and gave it a blast with Aerosol carb cleaner. It is one with the staple in the diaphragm by the way. Put it all back and wiggled the primer- bingo, we are back in business.

The only disappointing thing is the gasket between the unit and the engine block was perishing badly- plus I got a nice dose of special hair oil and a petroleum eyewash!

I think i will take it on morning commute so I can race the tractors!

Cheers,

Andrew.
Andrew
Apprentice

Postby FrogPart » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:11 pm

The plates are quite delicate , take no sticking to the seat. Over 25 years ago in the supposed days of real petrol , I used a Kawasaki portable genny during a power cut. Afterwards I took great care to run it dry and drained the tank. One year later I tried to start it up again - fail. Investigated and found a small polycarbonate duel bowl at the carb , the base was 1/2 full of a amber coloured sticky resin. This is the best example of petrol gum I have ever seen - like you I had got AC pumps running again just by taking to bits , cleaning and boxing up - they then worked OK , I came to the conclusion it could only be stale fuel gum holding a valve(s) . Earlier I had used re-con. kits , Stanley blade to cut away the die-cast material , then re-stake the new valves with a small nail punch - springs and plates - could not fault , wasted my time - must just have been glued up. I have my doubts the plates / springs ever truly rax up :wink:

btw. The staple - all I can think is if you are sufficiently daft to try a repair with the pump body still bolted to the crankcase - to get a better grip to get the diaphragm rod freed / final positioning to re-fit the screws :? One of the Rover mysteries. Answers on a post-card :lol:
FrogPart
Anorak

Postby Andrew » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:27 am

Maybe they had a robot arm with a magnet and needed a metal pick up- or it was to show up on x-rays if your dog/child eats it!
Andrew
Apprentice

Postby FrogPart » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:58 pm

Think we can rule out for magnet assistance - there was the washer & rod of the diaphragm that are steel. I can only think it is a mystery lost in the sands of time. Way back in S2A days - the diesel pump actually had a glass bowl sedimenter - I surmise the delivery pressure was same as petrol :? so it was a true AC/DC pump :) The valves were secured in situ. with a plate and two small screws - so easily changed. Then "value engineering " , the diesel pump lost the sedimenter / final filter gauze, the valves were secured by peening , the cam lever fulcrum pin was also secured by peening. Where is this nugget of useless information getting - nowhere, but ISTR the staple goes that far back - but why it was still retained and not £cost-cut :?

ISTR that the cyclone air-filter was also by AC Engineering & that was the Delco empire - so the secret is probably retained by Vauxhall / Bedford - I don't know if this AC lift pump was used on the Victor / CA van , the Zenith 36IV certainly was - so the staple purpose may be there :lol:
FrogPart
Anorak

Postby FrogPart » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:02 pm

Further thinking about this diaphragm 'staple' business :) thinking back in the early days - I recall it was actually two or three layers of fabric reinforced rubber - so it would be to retain them as a whole to keep the screw holes in true alignment whilst you twiddled to engage/disengage the rod to the leverage. IIRC the diaphragm(s) genuine & copy-part are now with bonded layers :? so the staple would only be needed if they de-laminated :) Further investigation of a repair kit or pump needed :)
FrogPart
Anorak

Return to Series III Lightweights