Front prop shaft.Series 3 Lightweight.

Got technical questions? Ask in here.

Front prop shaft.Series 3 Lightweight.

Postby Birdbrain » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:35 am

I got under the Lightweight yesterday to grease all the prop shaft UJ's. What a terrible design! The rear grease nipple on the front propshaft is partially obscured by the gear box crossmember. Even screwing a longer grease nipple in (with difficulty) wasn't enough to enable me to get the grease gun in position. It looks like I'll have to drop the prop shaft to do the job. Also, the gaiter has been rubbing against the gearbox cross member and split.

It looks like a previous owner has had problesm and this particular UJ has catastrophically failed at some stage as theres a patch welded on to the gearbox cross member where I assume theUJ gave way and the shaft whipped round damaging it.

Question: I'm sure I've read somewhere on here that its acceptable to reverse the prop shaft so the gaiter is at the axle end. Can someone confirm please?
I assume the gaiters are standard Series Landrover items?

Many thanks.
Birdbrain
trainee

Re: Front prop shaft.Series 3 Lightweight.

Postby FrogPart » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:31 pm

Birdbrain wrote:I got under the Lightweight yesterday to grease all the prop shaft UJ's. What a terrible design! The rear grease nipple on the front propshaft is partially obscured by the gear box crossmember. Even screwing a longer grease nipple in (with difficulty) wasn't enough to enable me to get the grease gun in position. It looks like I'll have to drop the prop shaft to do the job. Also, the gaiter has been rubbing against the gearbox cross member and split.

It looks like a previous owner has had problesm and this particular UJ has catastrophically failed at some stage as theres a patch welded on to the gearbox cross member where I assume theUJ gave way and the shaft whipped round damaging it.

Question: I'm sure I've read somewhere on here that its acceptable to reverse the prop shaft so the gaiter is at the axle end. Can someone confirm please?
I assume the gaiters are standard Series Landrover items?

Many thanks.

Oh dear - I have only ever seen FRONT-prop with sliding joint / gaiter at the axle diff. end :lol:

In my experience only top $ genuine Rover gaiter or new on a GKN / Hardy Spicer prop unit are any good. Cheapo are very thin rubber.

A TRAP , that catches many out - are you aware ?

I came across this on a LWT in 1970's , not all parts lists make this clear.

The REAR prop uses 4 qty. bolts 509045 at both companion flanges.

The FRONT only uses 4 qty. 509045 at the axle end flanges, the REAR flanges to gearbox (front) uses 4 qty. 509046 bolts - there is a difference in length

http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/li ... 046&page=1

http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/li ... 045&page=1

The length difference is very little , I should have a note :? and reason(s) why :? ISTR it is to prevent fouling at full axle deflection on springs. No doubt somebody will remember. I JUST TAKE CARE WITH FRONT , MEASURE AND MAKE A NOTE of length(s) FOR RE-ASSEMBLY , every time :lol:

That member damage could be due to this :shock:

-------

Greasing UJ's is a total PITA , I use a Wanner & a Colley gun & sometimes a Tecalemit cartridge gun with a flexible, NIPPLE LOCK :)

When I take on a NEW :) LWT or Rover , normally I dismantle the sliding joint to check and apply a very good grease.

Grease 2 or 3 times between service intervals - you will probably still prime water out :) however just the time spent on your back pays dividends , instead of shunting you will probably get grease through where penultimate you could not..
And I thought it was a thermostat !
FrogPart
Anorak

Postby FrogPart » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:46 pm

It seems :-

509045 = 3/8" UNF x 1.1/4" long

509046 = 3/8" UNF x 1.7/32" long

Not much :lol:
FrogPart
Anorak

Postby FrogPart » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:07 pm

addendum :)

Checking another Rover source , 509045 seems to be actually 1.3/8" long - that seems more like.

Abt. 1975 I ordered a new front prop & bolts from a LR franchise dealer & the partsman warned me about bolt lengths, I queried & he brought the snr. mechanic to explain better , I forget. I do have that take-off Rover 1 prop in a garage complete with bolts , IIRC bolts left in situ. as reference. I should have some new genuine bolts also in sealed bags along with the proper original used locking-nuts .
FrogPart
Anorak

Postby Birdbrain » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:24 pm

Many thanks for your informative replies.Looks like the front prop shaft S on the wrong way round then!
Birdbrain
trainee

Return to Technical Questions