Canvas Shrinkage

Got technical questions? Ask in here.

Canvas Shrinkage

Postby slowe » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:02 pm

After recently getting my lightweight back on the road and wishing to protect myself from the elements I decided to put the canvas back on 6 years after it came off. I don't know whether I am going bonkers but it appears to have shrunk length ways by a few inches. I've looked at some of the previous topics regarding canvas shrinkage and it seems it does happen but are there any techniques to stretch the canvas back to length or is it the case of putting up or buying new!

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks
Simon
slowe
trainee

Re: Canvas Shrinkage

Postby FrogPart » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:25 pm

Once shrunk - you can't restore. Often you see Ex-MOD hoods with a new section grafted on the rear panel (at least 6" / 8" in depth) , these bits are possibly reclaimed off scrapped hoods ? The problem is fitted new and immediately used with the rear panel rolled up & they just keep shrinking. The sides lashed - seem to stop shrinking when taut.

Often a new hood when fitted , the 'excess' is such that it prevents the side cleats securing the ropes - so you have to be aware & keep slipping them back. The consensus I would agree with is - when new , fit on a hot day , then soak with a hosepipe. Let it dry and repeat the procedure two or three times. Then keep the rear panel lashed down for a couple of seasons , observe and keep lashing if you have to - eventually it will stabilize.

If I order a new tilt (just a couple) - I have payed extra to have extra buckles & straps on the sides to enable rolling up , obviously you need same care.

There is different quality of canvas 'duck' used for tenting & tilts , I suppose this results in different experiences. I have a hood that came on a direct release L'wt and it is more of a summer weight with a fine weave.
And I thought it was a thermostat !
FrogPart
Anorak

Re: Canvas Shrinkage

Postby slowe » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:05 pm

Thanks Frogpart.
I had a feeling that would be the answer. I can't believe it has shrunk so much. The straps and buckles don't even seem to meet any longer. I think I can live with it for now but I suppose I will have to bite the bullet sooner rather than later.
Many thanks
Simon
slowe
trainee

Return to Technical Questions