gauge petrol tanks

All topics for the 24V lightweights

gauge petrol tanks

Postby LR88LW » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:41 pm

Hi there,

my petrol tanks are always full according to my gauge, BUT they aren't.
There is no movement of the gauge when I switch from the left tank to the right or vice versa.
I checked all the cables (except the one that goes into the gauge).
Has anybody an idea what ...??

Regards
LR88LW
Anorak

Re: gauge petrol tanks

Postby blueleggy » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:03 pm

The gauges have a permanent live feed. Their movement is governed by the resistance back to earth through the senders in the fuel tank, with zero/small resistance meaning tank full.

Sounds like something is earthing. Either in the changeover switch, or between the switch and the gauge.

Let us know how it goes.

Graham

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk
1972 Series 3 GS
49FL64
Ashcroft high ratio transfer box
300di (non-turbo 300tdi) engine
blueleggy
Anorak

Postby FrogPart » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:32 pm

What voltage are you getting after the stabilizer ? If not within design parameter - it will not work correctly.
And I thought it was a thermostat !
FrogPart
Anorak

Postby LR88LW » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:12 pm

It worked perfectly until two weeks ago!
Does the 24V-Lightweight 1980 have a voltage stabilizer? Don‘t know where mine could be! Sorry!
Regards
LR88LW
Anorak

Postby FrogPart » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:59 pm

FFR - no voltage stabiliser as such , at least not on drawing. 12 volt - small metal can , IIRC supposed to be secured on a clock post by the knurled nut , but you can find them loose on all the wires. I was once convinced 12 volt 'KA' did not have one. Only had this problem on 12 volt , long time ago but locked in memory that voltage on circuit must be correct. I found one Unipart Samson (blue) battery quite recent with a cell down. Another supposed good battery , had a very high terminal voltage 14v + , I was fooled by this but I believe the battery was sulpated - I understand under such circumstances the voltage can rise but the battery is duff. Anyway - not to be caught out , I would always fit known good battery(s) before messing around disturbing things esp. the clock panel.
FrogPart
Anorak

Postby spoons » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:44 pm

I would suspect that the connector from the sender to the tank is broken in some way. The small plugs are quite brittle, mine does this sometimes and I have to wd40 it before re-attaching a few times to get it working again.
spoons
Petrol Head

Postby Andrew » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:51 pm

Back into it!
Thanks Spoons- the wire is OK- I ran a new one to the VR from the sender.
I have just tried the electronic VR- same result- reading full when only 1/4 full.
Tried a new sender- same issue so it must be the gauge- I'm assuming that if I had a 24v gauge it would read low on a 12v system not high so I'm scratching my head.
I don't really want to buy a new gauge as I would ratehr spend the money on an overdrive unit!
Anyone had this?

Andrew.
Andrew
Apprentice

Postby FrogPart » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:42 pm

I know this is no great help under the circumstances. These tank reading problems are a total PITA.

At this stage - I use diagnosis by substitution , I have a spare boxed new gauge unit - means just disturb the odd Lucar blade. as a sound liquid :) reference. I have purchased the odd new 'genuine' gauge , expensive and very delicate - came in a flimsy unsealed car box like a contact-set. I assume they should be available OEM because , if you do a search on Google Smiths Instruments (the automotive) was sold, firm goes under the name of CIA they are based in Wales still manuf. speedos etc. I doubt if they take orders direct but should tell you who their agents are, I would expect 1/2 price of a LR franchise dealership.
FrogPart
Anorak

Postby blueleggy » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:48 pm

The fuel gauge on my 12V seems to be going the same way as yours, though not there yet.

It used to be fairly accurate, now it doesn't move off full for the first 1/3rd, then reads 1/2 when I'm down to 1/4. After that it drops quite quickly.

Replaced the sender with a different make but get exactly the same results. Need to check out what my VR is doing.

Graham
1972 Series 3 GS
49FL64
blueleggy
Anorak

Postby Andrew » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:30 am

Any further developments Graham? I am relying on doing a visual check.

Andrew
Andrew
Apprentice

Postby blueleggy » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:59 pm

No, I still haven't checked the voltage.

I ought to, but have sorting out other bits in between being nagged about spending too much time on "that old Land Rover"

At the moment I'm relying on the trip counter to tell me how much fuel I've used.

Graham

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk
1972 Series 3 GS
49FL64
blueleggy
Anorak

Return to 24 V Lightweights